Seminar sessions are held in House A. AM seminars begin at 9:00 a.m., PM sessions begin at 2:00 p.m., and bonus sessions (“Scripting the HMT”) begin at 5:00.
Mon., July 10
AM session: Machines and scholarship: what is a digital edition? what authority does it have?
- Matthew Jockers, Macronanalysis, chapters 1 and 2 (emailed).
- Interview with Franco Moretti in the LA Review of Books
- Helen Dewitt, The Last Samurai (selection emailed)
Team project: Validating text editing
PM session: ὑπὲρ μόρον: Iliad 20 and the poetics of multiformity
Reading assignment in advance of session: (Re)read Iliad 20 in English, Dutch or Greek.
Bonus session: building a search and retrieval engine for citable texts.
Tues., July 11
AM session: Latent patterns in texts
- Matthew Jockers, Macronanalysis, chapter 8 (emailed).
Team project: Continue editing and validating.
PM session: Scholia reading.
Reading assignment: Each team should identify one question they want to ask about a scholion. We will collectively read the scholion.
Bonus session: overview of the HMT digital archive
Wed., July 12
AM session: Writing with markdown
Assignment in advance of session:
- One historian’s perspective on writing with markdown
- a 60-second intro to markdown. Use the leftmost column of examples for HMT writing.
Team project: prepare first draft of presentation
PM session: Formulating and developing research questions about a multitext
Bonus session: workshop sesion. Scripting your research question?
Thurs., July 13
AM session: Individual team consultations on projects + meetings with groups by institution to plan work beyond summer, 2017.
- 9:00 Team 3
- 9:20 Team 10
- 9:40 Team 11
- 10:00 All Leiden University
- 10:20 All Holy Cross
- 10:40 Furman, Trinity, Washington
Team project: Rehearse oral presentation
PM session: Individual team rehearsals of oral presentations.
2:00 Team 3 2:30 Team 10 3:00 Team 11 3:30 Associate faculty
Bonus session: workshop session. Reviewing scripting for oral presentations.
Fri., July 14
(Happy Bastille Day)
AM session: Presentations.
PM session: Past perspectives and future prospects for the HMT project.